Medu Vada & Sambar

Of all the South Indian (southern part of  India) dishes my most favorite is Medu Vada. I have always favored Medu Vada over Idli or Dosa for some weird reason which is not even known to me. The fascination of how is it even possible to make a Vada in shape of doughnut was extremely mesmerizing for me as a child. I always thought to myself this one tact I need to learn from my mother when I grow old enough. When I asked her about the same she showed me the most easiest and tactful way of making a doughnut shape Vada. I will mention it during the method process in below. Before we move on to the process, did you all know that Medu is Kannada word for "soft" which I was enlightened by my roomie who happen to be from Karnataka. Medu Vada is mainly made out of Urad Dal (Black Lentils) but there have been variations to the type of dal used for this dish. But Medu Vada's authenticity is from Urad Dal.

Below is the recipe for Medu Vada

2 Cups of Urad Dal (Soaked for minimum 6-8 hours)
1/2 tsp Asafoetida (Hing)
1 inch Ginger Chopped
3-4 Chillies chopped
Coriander chopped
1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1/2 cup Coconut Pieces sliced
1/2 Cup Onion Chopped
5-6 Peppercorns
Salt
Oil for frying

Method:
Soak the Urad Dal overnight in water for roughly 6-8 hours. Drain the water and grind the Urad Dal to fine paste. We need little thicker batter in order to retain the shape of  doughnut. Do not add excessive water while grinding. While grinding the Urad Dal add fenugreek seeds to the grinder. You can grind the urad dal in small portions. But once all Urad Dal is done grinding mix all mixture well, so that the effect of fenugreek seeds applies to entire batter. Keep the batter in dry warm place for 4-5 hours for fermenting purposes.
NOTE: Fermenting is totally optional, but I do not use any kind of substitute for softer medu vada like baking soda. I prefer fermenting the Batter.

After mentioned time remove the batter and mix it well with ladle. Due to fermentation the batter will be risen. Add Salt and all mentioned ingredients in required measurements. Mix the Batter well.

In a pan/pot add oil for frying and let it heat up. On other hand, take a ziplock on a flat surface.
Add water to the palms and take a ball of batter and put it on ziplock and flatten it  to the extent that it turns out to look like small puri.
With your finger make a hole in the batter to look like a doughnut.
Now carefully take the ziplock close to the pan/pot and with the help of other hand release the Vada from the ziplock.
NOTE: WHILE DOING THIS MAKE SURE THE ZIPLOCK IS NOT CLOSE TO THE OIL ORELSE YOU WILL END UP BURNING YOUR HAND.

If this is difficult then take a ladle which is used for serving dal, and add batter in the spoon end of ladle and make a hole in the batter and put the ladle in the oil. As oil will be hot it will immediately release the Vada from the ladle.
Fry the Vada until golden brown. Make sure Vada is cooked well. Fry as many as required and serve hot with Sambar or Coriander coconut chutney.


Comments

Popular Posts